Cloud Computing is a relatively new term to the industry. It is a computing technology that uses the Internet and central remote servers to store data and applications. In other words, it is a service software system which aimed to deliver service to people through web applications on independent platforms. It allows people to use software programs without software installation. At the same time, people can access their data at any computer with Internet access and collaborate files with others. It allows for more efficient computing by centralizing storage, memory, processing and bandwidth.
- Scalability – can easily scale IT capabilities to meet demand
- Accessibility – can remote accessibility to data and ability to collaborate across locations
- Affordability – can reduce capital costs of upgrading the IT infrastructure
- Energy Efficient – can reduce the physical server footprint and save energy
- Collaboration – can share information and collaborate with others.
- Security and Privacy – who owns the data and cloud service providers can they access your files and sell to others
- Internet connections – does not work well with low-speed connections
- Constant Internet – require a constant internet otherwrise no internet which means no data and no access
- Data missing – there is chance that data can be completely losted by stored it in the cloud and without any physical backups
Cloud Computing and Organizations
As we all know, there are many benefits of cloud computing, however managing the transition and maximising the positive effects requires the buy-in. The foundation for cloud computing will rest on the organizational, technological and process will change on how to providing services. In other words, cloud computing will require the organizations to change their old traditional IT thinking.
In the conclusion, there are many benefits of cloud computing, however managing the transition and maximising the positive effects requires the buy-in. Therefore, the biggest challenge for the organizations is to adapt this new technology from many different areas and integrate into their current business model and develop new model to increase their business values. In other words, they need to adapt business changes from business model, procedures, skills, knowlege and technology.