Today, with the technology development, the Web has changed the economics of software development and the Internet has also changed the way of the software developers with regard to how they look at the traditional software development and delivery process. With the evolution of the Web, Enterprise social software and Web technology have evolved into the next new Internet era, coined as Enterprise 2.0. The phrase “Enterprise 2.0″ was first coined by Harvard Business School Associate Professor Andrew McAfee in the spring 2006. Enterprise 2.0 is about a technical and cultural shift within the organization towards far greater degrees of user-driven content and content sharing (MIKE 2.0, 2010). In other words, Enterprise 2.0 is about collaboration and connectivity.
Key Benefits of Implementing Enterprise 2.0
Ross Dawson has defined four key benefits of implementing Enterprise 2.0 to organizations in his latest book called ” Implementing Enterprise 2.0″.
- Productivity and Efficiency
- Staff Engagement
For full details on the report and all the sample chapters go to the Implementing Enterprise 2.0 website.
Why does an organization need to implement Enterprise 2.0?
Over the past decade, most organizations are used some common communication tools such as emails, websites and documents (printed static contents) to communicate and collaborate with their customers and employees. Today, they are also using Web 2.0 applications (examples wikis and blogs) and widgets (examples mashups) to help them to build an interactive collaborative environment, to increase productivity, to share knowledge and to enhance customer experience.
This week, i am going to look into an organization that has incorporated Enterprise 2.0 principles and social computing concepts associated with an innovative use of technology in its organization. One of the best examples for an organization is Vistaprint (see Figure 1.0).
Figure 1.0 – Vistaprint
Who is Vistaprint?
Vistaprint is a large online supplier of printed and promotional materials. In North America, it is one of the fastest growing printing companies. It has served annually more than 9 million customers worldwide. It currently employs approximately 2,200 people, operates 22 localized websites globally and ships to more than 120 countries around the world (Vistaprint 2010). It offers a broad range of services to small businesses and consumers from high-quality printed marketing materials to marketing services. It also provides online services and solutions such as email marketing, websites and postcard marketing.
How does Vistaprint implement Enterprise 2.0?
Idea sharing has always been very important at Vistaprint (Morgan, 2010). Therefore, Vistaprint adopted the concept of the Enterprise 2.0 and launched an internal enterprise wiki (powered by MediaWiki – see figure 2.0) and an ideation platform (powered by Intuit).
This video clip shows what MediaWiki is, what it does and what it can do for you.
Figure 2.0 – MediaWiki
- Internal Enterprise Wiki – In mid 2006, Vistaprint decided to implement an internal enterprise wiki called “VistaWiki” for knowledge sharing (see Figure 3.0). Daniel Barrett has implemented this KM system (knowledge management system) into the social computing world for Vistaprint. The benefits of using VistaWiki within the organization are to increase efficiency and productivity and to give knowledge to workers who can use collaborative software to share information.
Figure 3.0 – VistaWiki
- Ideation Platform – In March 2009, Vistaprint used the Intuit Brainstorm platform which was to speed up the product development process by unleashing creativity and empower employees with useful tools to move their ideas forward. (Zenkin, 2010) The platform was called “The Funnel” and is used to share ideas with staff across the organization, including CEO (Chief Executive Officer). Therefore, the funnel is a collaborative medium which is used to generate new ideas to deploy for customers (Morgan, 2010).
The benefits of implementing Enterprise 2.0 in Vistaprint
There are some key benefits that Vistaprint decided to implement an Enterprise 2.0 strategy into its organization.
- Content Information Access – Ideation Platform helps to create better internal communication with easier access to content. The system users can also access from anywhere in the world.
- Knowledge Sharing – VistaWiki users have created over 20,000 articles altogether.
- Instant Message Notification – VistaWiki users can see live data, such as sales figures, RSS 2.0 feeds directly from other enterprise systems (Portals and KM, 2009).
- Simplicity and Cost Effective – VistaPrint employees found using the wiki format valuable for many reasons including: ease of use (based on open-source code), ability to track “live” documents and the simplicity of the design layout (Portals and KM, 2009).
Enterprise 2.0 Solution Offering. MIKE 2.0. 2010.
Another Enterprise 2.0 Knowledge Sharing Success Story – VistaWiki. Portals and KM. 2009.
About Vistaprint. Vistaprint. 2010.
D. Zenkin. 2010. Intranet vs Enterprise 2.0 vs Social Software: an obvious case of terminological controversy.
J. Lennon. 2009. Implementing Enterprise 2.0.
J. Morgan. 2010. Implementing Enterprise 2.0 at Vistaprint Part One : Business Drivers.